Mother's Day!

No one had a better Mother's Day weekend than I did.  I'm fairly certain of it.
I got to spend Friday night with our niece, Kenzie.  We went to McDonalds, walked around the neighborhood and shared some popcorn over Jake and the Neverland Pirates.



I  got to sleep in a giant bed all by myself and woke to Kenzie's maniacal laugh in the morning - awesome.  Then we had breakfast with Jay and I got to take her home to play with Ollie all day.  

Ollie got a haircut and we all went swimming.  Without fear: they went down the slide a bajillion times, Kenzie practiced her "ice cream scoops" and Ollie was on his back in the water numerous times.  Kenzie said "I love Ollie" and they wanted to hug and hold hands all day long, and Ollie said Kenzie's name for the first time ("Teddy").  At lunch they shared gluten-free bread, tuna casserole and soy milk, as well as a love for all things "toots."  Two things I'm pretty proud of: when Kenzie started whining for more chips, Ollie told her to "stop it."  He also suddenly counted to ten.  My amazing boy.  I put them down for a nap in the same room and sat on the steps listening to them giggling and shrieking to each other.  That lasted about 15 minutes before I had to separate the two of them!


Kenzie did not want to go back home, but eventually Aunt "Bean" wore her down.  That night we grilled out with our friend, Chris, and I was down for the count around 9pm.  Taking care of two two year olds is exhausting!


On Mother's Day, I woke up around 6 after hearing Ollie's voice on the monitor.  I played asleep while Doug went up and got him.  Our unwritten rule is that the holiday honoree has to stay in bed so that the other two can "wake" them up.  We have a lovely, toasty tradition where we always open cards and gifts in bed in the morning.  I hope it never ends.

Ollie came down shouting "Happy Mama!" and they love-bombed me with cards and a bag chock full of white chocolate M&Ms.  Then we went upstairs and had a tantrum-free breakfast (rare these days), got dressed in running clothes and had a run around Lake Calhoun.  I booked it the last 1/4 mile and we ended up coming in at 9 1/2 minutes per mile.  Pretty good for a beginner like me!

We rolled down the windows, got some BOGO Caribou coffees and went over to the car wash to get my Suby looking mighty fine.  Came out shiny, clean, brand-new smelling and apple juice-less!  

Came home and Doug cleaned while Ollie and I took a nap in his room.  Ahhh!
My sister- and brother-in-law came over with Mason, so we played while the boys grilled out.  Ollie didn't put up a fight at bathtime or bedtime ( his last act of Mother's Day good behavior) and Doug I spent the remainder of the night drinking wine, talking about Ollie's upcoming 2nd birthday party and our house dreams.


To top it all off, my mother turned 62 on Mother's Day.  I am so lucky that
this woman brought me into the world.  What a marvelous lady.  Happy Birthday Mama!  Ollie was so thoughtful: he had me trace his hands and measure his wingspan so I could send Grandma a hug.  What a sweetie.


"Because I can't be with you
On this lovely Mother's Day,
I asked my mom to trace my hands
So I could send a hug your way!"
"Wuv oo, Gaga!  Gray day!"
(I love you, Gaga.  Have a great day!)

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day!  What a nice way to finally welcome in Spring!

Comments

Popular Posts