Catch My Eye

Last night was Ollie's third grade concert. He asked for more protein in his breakfast so that he could have enough "energy for [his] performance." He was looking forward to it and I was, too!

Doug had an appointment and even though he said he'd try to make it to the concert, we braced Ollie for Doug's absence. I called my mother-in-law who had shown interest in attending and was planning to save her a seat. 

As we were driving to the school, Ollie said that without Dad there, it didn't seem like it would be a performance. He also mentioned that he had a speaking part, maybe two, and he was getting nervous. I assured him that even if it was just me in the audience, he could always catch my eye and I'd give him all of my confidence and a big smile. He squeezed my hand as we walked in the doors and then scooted into the cafeteria to meet with the rest of his class.

I found some friends - parents of another schoolmate and cub scout - and sat down with them, keeping an eye out for my mother-in-law. When she texted to say that she couldn't make it, I settled in a little worried that Ollie would be disappointed when he saw me sitting alone.

As all the kids walked out and climbed the risers, Ollie immediately caught my eye. I grinned and gave him double thumbs up. I got out my phone to record the songs and just as they started to sing, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Doug sitting behind me! Ollie's eyes were on me and when I turned back to look at him, he beamed! At the end of the first song, I saw him say to his friend next to him, "Look! My dad's here!"

Doug raced through his appointment and sped home to make sure that he caught Ollie's concert. To make sure that Ollie knew his dad loved him. And it worked - having Dad show up made Ollie's night. 

It reminded me of a poem:

Finding Joy (Rachel Marie Martin)
I will be there.
I will be there in the tired.
I will be there in the good.
I will be there when you mess up.
I will be there when you are amazing.

I will be there when the tears run.
I will be there when life isn't fair.
I will be there when I don't have the answers.
I will be there when my heart hurts.
I will be there for you.

I will be there when you are mad.
I will be there when you think I'm the worst.
I will be there when I'm the best.
I will be there cheering you on.
I will be there in the stand waiting for you to catch my eye.

I will be there standing behind closed doors.
I will be there sitting in offices.
I will be there waiting for you to return.
I will be there laughing together.
I will be there when your heart aches.

I will be there day after day.
I will be there holiday after holiday.
I will be there and will love you deeply.
I will be there and will feel my heart letting go.
I will be there to see you grow.

I will be there to let you go.
I will be there.

I won't be perfect.
I won't always have the answers.
I won't always have patience.
I won't worry.

But I will be there.

I will show up.
I will give.
I will love.
I will try.

Sweet children.
I will be there.

Dearest Ollie, whenever you're nervous, catch our eyes. We will be there cheering you on.

The moment he saw Dad!


Comments

jsawyer said…
Just beautiful!!!!

Popular Posts