Alzheimer's Warrior

Last week I took Ollie to work (Alzheimer's Association) with me to get a few things done before he went to school. As we were leaving, he asked me why I do what I do. This was our conversation:

Ollie: Mom, why do you work for Alzheimer’s?

Me: Because I like the people I work with and I care about the people I work for.

Ollie: Who are the people you work for?

Me: I work for people with Alzheimer’s disease, and it’s a really bad disease. 100,000 people in Minnesota have Alzheimer’s disease and every 65 seconds people are diagnosed with it - the doctors tell them, “You have Alzheimer’s disease.”

Ollie: Is Alzheimer’s where you can’t remember your name, like [the song]“What’s my name again?”

Me: Yep. It’s a really sad disease that has no cure, like a cold or the flu, where you forget your memories - but your brain also forgets to eat, how to chew, how to brush your teeth, or that you even have teeth.

Ollie: But can’t someone tell them to eat?

Me: Yeah, but sometimes that’s how people die, they just forget how to do things like eat and drink water, things that help them to live, so their body just stops.

Ollie: How do people get Alzheimer’s?

Me: We don’t really know. But we do know how people can try to not get Alzheimer’s. You have to eat well and exercise, do mind games - like you know how I do crosswords? You have to stay social, go out with friends.

Ollie: Well, at least I do that.

Me: Yup, you are very social. But don’t worry, bud, people don’t get Alzheimer’s until they’re older.

Ollie: Do you think TV shows and video games would help?

Me: Some, maybe -

Ollie: I know how I would help people with Alzheimer’s.

Me: Oh yeah? How?

Ollie: I’d tell them to watch ABC Mouse and Carmen San Diego. Because those are probably good shows to watch, huh? Not that they’re babies, but they’re older and it can help.

Me: Good ideas, bud. Do you know that someone you know and love has problems with their memory?

Ollie: Who?

Me: Your Great Grandma Yates.

Ollie: Well, that does it then. I’m on the case.

Me: Huh?

Ollie: Yeah, you can tell Sue [my supervisor and a Region Leader for Alzheimer's Association] that I’m going to work for Alzheimer’s now. I like Great Grandma Yates. She gives me food. And I like going to her old house to play ping pong.

Me: Well good!

Ollie: I’m going to go to her house and tell her to watch ABC Mouse.

Me: You know how you can help people with Alzheimer’s disease from here?

Ollie: How?

Me: You can raise money for research and tell all your friends about how Alzheimer’s disease is bad. You know, we have something coming up called The Longest Day. Do you think you could help with that?

Ollie: What would I have to do?

Me: Would you like to do a lemonade stand and all the money would go to The Longest Day* and to fight Alzheimer’s disease?

Ollie: YEAH! We can do lemonade and cookies. And Mom, you can make some Oreo brownies. I’m going to go to school and ask all my friends who has a busy neighborhood. Because then we can go to that neighborhood and do a lemonade stand, and make lots of money.

Me: I think that would be a great idea, Ollie! You know, though, that all the money would have to go to Alzheimer’s, you wouldn’t get to keep any of it, right?

Ollie: Yeah, that’s okay.

Me: I think it’s really cool that you want to do this.

Ollie: Yeah.

Me: I believe that everyone should have a cause they support. Mine is Alzheimer’s disease and your dad’s is sick kiddos. What do you think yours is?

Ollie: I don’t know yet.

Me: That’s fine, you don’t have to choose yet.

Ollie: Maybe zombies.

Look for us this summer to get your lemonade (and Oreo brownie) fix!

*The Longest Day is the Alzheimer's Association's second signature event (The Walk to End Alzheimer's is the first). On this day (June 21st) everyone can pick a fundraiser to raise money to defeat Alzheimer's disease. For more information, please click here.

Comments

Popular Posts