Happy Birthday Teagan!

I'm so glad to be celebrating a wonderful little girl's birthday. Last week was one of the hardest weeks I've had in quite a while, with the death of a friend in an earth shattering way. I'm still not accustomed to it, so will save that story for another day. For now, let's love up on Teagan Marie, my niece!


Over the years, I've been countlessly lucky
To stumble into grand interviews.
Female superheroes spoke candidly
As I wiped blood and healed a bruise.

One answer all the women gave to me
Had me confused to the very core
For I had never heard of or seen the name
Of a woman they spoke of as mentor.

"Wonder Woman," I once asked, "Where in the world
Did you get your bravery and courage?"
"Why, Teagan Marie," the Amazon smiled.
"She has boxes of it in storage."

"Hey, Black Canary, how does your voice

Hit such outworldly high notes?"
"Silly, don't you know of Teagan's potions?
She gives me a shot and a booster dose."

"Oh, Wasp, oh Wasp, you're so tiny and fast.

Where do you get your energy?"
"Have you seen who I hang out with," Wasp responded.
"The astonishing Teagan Marie?"

"Marvel, Miss Daisy, please tell me, oh do,

Where did you pick up your smarts?"
"Well, a lot from myself," she answered quite bluntly
"But Teagan's are far off the charts."

"Zatanna, you are stunning in your black tuxedo.

How do your perform your magic tricks?"
"Watch Teagan Marie," the answer yet came,
"Watch her and be transfixed."

Again and again, this Teagan name came up.

I had to learn everything about this case!
My research was getting me nowhere until,
Starfire let slip Teagan's base.

As a physician to heroes I have little time

So it wasn't until I grew old
That I was able to, at last, hang up my coat
Ease my curiosity and be bold.

I marched right up to a house in Lake Elmo

But knocked with shaking knees
At the door of the great magical master
Superheroines' secret trustee.

I was excited and anxious. I had so many questions.

I needed to understand!
But I was old and so was she, and I was prepared
To be leaving without info in hand.

A little girl answered my rap on the door

Couldn't have been five years or older.
When asked for Teagan, she said, "I am she."
Stepped out with a glance over her shoulder.

She said, "I know who you are. I appreciate your search,"

And I know what you are here for.
But I must ask you to leave and leave very quickly.
I have family whom I fear for."

My mouth must have been still agape

From the shock of seeing one so young.
She smiled, said goodbye, and stepped back inside,
Shut the door before I found my tongue.

I garbled a "Yes, Ma'am," a reflex I'm prone to

From years of being told what to do and when.
Then I turned around, hushed, embarrassed and surprised
At the turn of events I'd landed in.

I reached the road and turned around,

And gazing back up at the door,
I caught sight of the little girl at the window.
I laughed and shook my head at the "mentor."

For who was this little slip of a girl

To speak to an old woman like that?
I'm not sure how it happened and who could've told her
But I wouldn't be mislead like that.

She saw my disbelief from the living room window.

She grinned and up she stretched.
At the tops of her fingers I beheld a small spark,
She brought her hands down and etched.

SEEK THE TRUTH

she wrote in the pane of glass. 
I stared, flabbergasted, and blinked.
Then she was gone and the glass was restored,
And I knew I had not been hoodwinked.

There are many who won't believe my lines.

They'll call me crazy, a nut, a committal.
But if you have met or know Teagan at all,
You may believe me. If only a little.


We love you, sweet girl!
Happy 5th Birthday, Teagan Marie!



Comments

Popular Posts