January: Resolution Update

I saw a meme today that said, "January was a hard year, but we made it through!" SIS I FEEL YOU. This was a really long January, wasn't it? I feel like I fought good and hard to make it to January 31st. I crawled on my hands and KNEES for January 31st. I'm not sure why, in fact it's a rather obscure date, but I just needed to get to February. But does anyone else here feel like FEBRUARY IS THE LONGEST MONTH IN THE UNIVERSE? I don't like to slam Febs, because it's my birthday month, I like Abe and love, and it's only got 28 days so it's already not like the others. Poor thing's got that awkward spelling and I'm all for the underdogs, but honestly. FEBRUARY GIVE IT UP. YOU'RE COLD AND YOU MAKE SINGLE LADIES FEEL BADLY. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. I love you, Febs, but you've got to get a grip on yourself.

I know, I know, you haven't even started and I'm already projecting all my future problems on you. I'm sorry. Shh, I love you. Shh.

I'm a little restless and screamy because it's been snow day week here in the polar vortex Minnesota and I've worked from home 3 days this week with the kiddo, who has done a great job reining it all in until daddy gets home, but I'm suffocating. Maybe that's the wrong word. I don't want Ollie to read this when he's older and think that I was suffocated by him. Because it's not by him - but that is the right word. I'm bursting to breathe right now, or to twirl, or to run or to scratch off my skin and explode. I've done the snow day thing. I've made the cookies and brownies and cocoa. I've cleaned the house, folded laundry, took the dog on walks and played outside for as long as I could before everyone's eyelids began to bleed. I've played the piano, watched countless movies and video games, read my books, colored, napped...and now it's time to get back to life.

I can tell you, however, that while the snow day week did affect my healthy eating plans (I did say I made cookies and cocoa, right?), I'm pretty darn proud of how I've made it through January with my resolutions intact!

The way I say"intact" is like, mostly intact. Like how a shark could spit out a human being and say, "Well, I only ate the shoulder and left a hole in his ribcage, but he's intact!" Like, I'm still walking and breathing intact. So I'm fine.

Let's review, shall we?

My word for 2019 was "Adulting." Which really meant making the right decisions. And I've done that for the most part. I've lost 7 pounds between my exercise regimen, healthy eating plans and water intake. I've slept well. I've washed and moisturized and masked and exfoliated the appropriate amount. I've prayed - a lot. I've kept my anger and frustration in check. I've donated and volunteered willingly and smilingly. I've even Marie Kondo'd a little! (Not completely and actually not really at all Marie Kondo style - I just threw out trash and went through most of my clothes, books and son's videos). (And now that I think about it, I immediately supplemented it all with more that I bought). BUT AT A THRIFT STORE. AND I'M DONATING IT ALL WHEN I GET IT INTO MY CAR...BUT ONLY AFTER IT THRASHES AROUND IN THE TRUNK FOR MAYBE 3 WEEKS. 

I also finished Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. So, finished. Done with that. Chehhhck. 

I did figure something out about me, though. I used to laugh when people would say they were stress eating. Not because I didn't believe it was actually a thing, but because it just seemed funny and why would anyone do it? Fast forward to the first week of January when I had tons of things due at work and I found myself passing the carb-and-sweet-loaded kitchen counter seventeen times a day. Once you realize it, you can't go back! And because my whole year is about making good decisions, I had to make the RIGHT DECISION once I recognized this in myself and PASS BY THE COUNTER WITH NOTHING IN HAND. Guys. It takes a will and strength that I didn't know I had. I'm kind of a superhero.

(She types as she finishes her second glass of red wine to wash down the 4 cookies she just skarfed). LOOK AWAYYYYY

The one thing that's going marvelously and strongly and superbly and I'm so proud of it is my 2 WEEK MEAL PREP! Remember how I was planning meals for 2 weeks in advance? I am rocking it out! The joy I get from doing it is adding to my desire to continue!

Is this what my poor, undernourished, apathetic soul needed?

The 5 star recipes that my family loved this month were:

  • Baked tilapia
  • Spice-brined pork
  • Lentil pie
  • Tacos
  • Parmesan crusted tilapia
  • Chicken curry
  • Tator-tot casserole
  • And duh, pancakes and bacon
Never underestimate the delish of a good breakfast dinner on a cold day!

I wanted to make new recipes, but I also didn't want to forgo all the tried and true recipes we've made over the years. In January, these are the recipes that worked. February's first two weeks are already planned:

Sunday - (Super Bowl) PIZZA
Monday - Cassoulet from Betty Crocker
Tuesday - Leftovers
Wednesday - Cauliflower Mac and Cheese from "400 Heart Healthy Recipes." This is a big WE'LL SEE
Thursday - Leftovers, though I can't imagine there will be any since we're having CAULIFLOWER THAT SMELLS LIKE BUTTS
Friday - Chicken Corn Chowder Soup
Saturday - Leftovers

Sunday - Beef Enchiladas and Mexican rice
Monday - Leftovers
Tuesday - Sole recipe from Ina
Wednesday - Spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread
Thursday - Dawn's BBQ Chicken from a crockpot cookbook I have. I don't know Dawn, but if her BBQ chicken isn't lit, Ima hunt her down!
Friday - Leftovers
Saturday - Maybe a date night? Ha! I couldn't even say that with a straight face. :)

Truth, though. (And when I say, Truth, I mean it. Like how the Kardashians say "Bible.") I haven't spent as much on my grocery budget this month, I've saved at least $40, which isn't a lot, definitely, but once you pop, you can't stop. And we haven't thrown out nearly as much leftover food, AND I did say I lost 7 pounds din' i? AMIRITE?

I'm getting tired and not so sure how to wrap this up nicely in a sweet little gingham bow. So I'll just say - keep on getting on with your resolutions. You guys are superheros! You can do this! My bestie, Kielyn, just finished up 30 days of yoga - she did it, and so can you. GO AFTER YOUR DREAMS, even if it's perfecting Dawn's bbq chicken crockpot recipe or getting out of the house from this polar vortex.

LOVE.

Comments

Popular Posts