Happy Birthday Elliott Shay!

Elliott Shay Paff, the big five year old
Stood at the top of the mountain and told
God about her plans for her future and He
Said, “My, what a lot of things you want to be!

“I hear you when you say that you’ll
Be an astronaut and own a swimming pool.
I understand that you want to open a zoo
And train leopards, tigers, and even newts.

“I can see you as a ballerina who dances on stage,
And a writer and illustrator who livens up the page.
Wait - you want to be a doctor and a violin instructor
At the same time as a philanthropist and subway conductor?

“The President of the United States AND
A lobbyist for science and research?
A singer, a CEO, architect AND
A French cheese connoisseur?

“Whoa, Elliott, let me sit down a minute.
I think you ought to, maybe, put a pin in it.
I appreciate the thought you’ve given this, lamb,
But I want to hear your life’s ambition; your plan.

“You see, I, who have given life to mankind,
Sounds to the deaf, and sight to the blind,
Think no one should have to stifle their dreams
Even if they’re not completely mainstream.

“So if there’s a fire in your belly and few complications
Become a teacher and a fighter in a fire station.
But be sure to do so with the purest of heart
And unto the world, do love and compassion impart.”

Elliott smiled and gazed up at God’s face
She said, “Thank you, Lord, for your goodness and grace.
Can you, perhaps, do me a little favor
And help me face the rest of the world a little braver?

“I will be a woman, Lord, like the women before me.
And I will roar, and the whole world will hear me.
But they will try to squash my hopes and my dreams
And I want to face them with tighter seams.

“This world is broken, God, it’s bent.
I try to find generosity and friendliness, but I’m spent.
Is there a golden ticket to happiness?
Can I easily find a way out of crappiness?

“I want to be strong and I want to be useful.
I want to live a touching life that is truthful.
I don’t want to live in shame or in pain.
I don’t want to seek low where I have to gain.

“I want what I’m promised, by our community and elders:
I want warmth, love, food and some shelter,
I want joy in my heart and peace in my soul,
I want to learn everything – my life to be whole.”

And God said, “Oh, Elliott, there’s no golden ticket.
No matter your religion, you still have to live it.
There will be crappiness here, it’s not Paradise.
Make your own Heaven here, that’s my advice.

“What you just said, you’ve got it right there,
Look for the grace, the joy, the care.
But you get out of life what you put into it,
So you'll give more of love, don’t only take of it.

“Darling Eli, pick any career, go and choose!
The world is your oyster, you have nothing to lose.
Just remember, you must be the change, be the good.
If you want to see change, make it where you should.

“That’s all I ask, it has always been:
Love me, love yourself, and love your friends.
We all get downhearted, but as long as you try
To focus on LOVE, always LOVE, you’ll survive.

“You’ll volunteer, vote, donate and give.
You’ll see of the world, how others live.
You’ll build people up with your actions and voice.
To people who hurt you, you won't give them the choice.

“My girl, to thine own self you’ll be brave and true.
You’ll do such good work, I’m already proud of you.
Just remember where your home is, was and always will be:
True north on your compass, where your spirit’s at peace.”

Elliott Shay smiled and nodded.
She lifted her face to the Light and thanked God.
Turning around, tucking her hair back from her face,
Elliott gingerly stepped down and her steps she retraced.

I love you, Eli. You'll do great things!

Comments

Popular Posts