Children's Sermon: Happy Mother's Day!

As you know, from time to time, I get to give the kids at church a children's sermon. The first time I figured it was a fluke, that they'd see the error of their ways immediately. The second time I was asked, I considered myself incredibly lucky. But now that I've been asked a third time, I think I'm officially on the payroll as a child sermonist! That's right, right? I'm sure it's right.

Also, this is one of those times where I consider the whole "pride before the fall" proverb, but I dismiss it instantly.

I feel like today is a holiday. What is today?
(It's Mother's Day!)

Who do we celebrate on Mother's Day?
(Our Moms!)

That's right! And grandmas and aunts and other people who act like moms to us!
Tell me: why do we celebrate these people on Mother's Day?
(Because they do nice things for us! Because they're our moms!)

But why do we only have one day to celebrate these people? Aren't they great? Shouldn't we tell them how great they are and how much we love them every day?
(Sobering nods)

Psalm 31 is one of the passages that Pastor Ben is talking about today and the author, David, talks about the Lord being his rock. Do you know what that means?
(Deafening silence)

When we say that someone is our rock, it means that they're always around for us. They protect us, they teach us, they defend us, they watch out for us, they cheer for us and they give us strength. A rock is solid, something that you can't break. That sounds a lot like our Lord, doesn't it?
(Nods)

But you know who else that sounds like? It sounds like our moms!

Does your mom cheer for you at your games or shows?
Does your grandma pick you up after you've fallen off your bike?
Does your aunt teach you the right way to do things, like write your name or tell a joke?
Are they always there for us when we're happy, sad, angry, confused or scared?

They are! So to remember that our moms are our rocks and that we love them so much, here's a rock. I want each of you to write either MOM or GRANDMA or whoever it is that is your rock and give it to them today. Say, "Hey, Mom! You're my rock!"

Let's pray with our heads bowed, our hands together and our eyes closed. Repeat after me:

Dear God,
Thank you for giving me this special lady in my life.
She's my rock, just like you're my rock.
You both love me and keep me safe.
Please help me to remember to say thank you not just today, but every day!
Amen.

Go tell that special lady in your life how much you love them and are thankful for them. If they're not around, do the next best thing: pray, call, or find someone else. Everyone deserves to be genuinely thanked for the things they do for us.  Love you.

Comments

Popular Posts