A Mother's Day

This past Sunday was Mother's Day and it was the perfect day for this mama.

The weather last week was glorious and everyone in our little cul-de-sac had mown their lawns - everyone but us. Spring had just recently popped and we didn't have the time to mess with the grass yet, plus we had forgotten to put fertilizer down on our lawn in the Fall, so our lawn was a mess of dandelions, weeds and overgrowth. Ollie and I both had to pick up our feet walking through the yard! I assured our neighbors with a sign on the driveway:


 Our lawn will be mowed Sat. #workingparents

 And Saturday, with the sun shining overhead, the promise of Ollie spending two hours at a birthday party and all the tools at my disposal, Doug and I got to it. The whole day was absolutely splendid and at the end of the day, after cleaning dirt out of my fingernails and ears (?), taking a cool shower and enjoying a Miller High Life, we grilled some steaks, ate some Happy Mother's Day cake (you give me a celebration and I'll ask for a cake) and watched a movie. It was sensational. We were all in great moods* and slept brilliantly that night.

*Ollie was in good spirits, I think, because he could finally go to a birthday party. Earlier, on Wednesday night, he was supposed to go to a different birthday party. He was such a sassy snot that we told him his behavior didn't allow for this privilege, and then we had him call the mom to apologize. First time that happened, and I really don't think he'll forget it!

Sunday, I woke up to this:


Ollie had promised me a robot and he delivered!


"Mom, I wish you will have a wondrefl Mothrs Day xoxoxoxox Oliver"


A Poem about My Mom:
M - om
O - out of this World
T-roo
H - eart
E - xcellent
R - eads

And a Starbucks coffee and cinnamon roll.  Hog heaven.

We spent the morning with some of my favorite people at church where I gave the children's sermon and taught Sunday School. The band played a great, slightly sardonic rendition of "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz and Ollie brought me a carnation from all the flowers in the hall for the moms.  We came home, I relaxed and we went out to lunch with my parents-in-law.


Then the boys went grocery shopping, I went to Home Depot to finish out the plants in our fresh-faced yard and we all went to bed, content and full.

There are few things I love more than spending some quality time with my boys. When it's done with a full fridge, clean house, folded laundry and crossed off to-do list, that's the icing on my Mother's Day cake. Here's to your Mother's Day!

Comments

Popular Posts