Boy of Gold

His screams cut glass like diamonds
His giggles will rope the moon
His tears form pools of mourning and fear
His smiles can make criminals swoon

He adores music in all of its fashions

Could sing you a ditty or two
His grinning acceptance of all genres
Gives me hope of his acceptance of you

He eats all of his veggies and all of his fruit

Is suspicious of milk and orange cheese
Loves sweets and thinks 3-hole Parm is "fancy"
Sometimes says thank you and please

Right now he wants to be a policeman

Or a “science-tist” who tracks dino bones
As he rises through the years, however - I hope - 
His fantasies will turn over more stones

He’s quicker and funnier than all of the rest

(All mothers are required to comment)
Yet everyone can see that he’s not at all average
My love isn’t the only endorsement

What love comes from his giant heart

That soul that burns with peace
But impulsiveness does fight his thoughts
Feelings that push forth the beast

Apologies galore and cuddles requested

After he’s made to see sense
The smooches he gives and the tight, tight, tight hugs
Are more than enough recompense

“He’s a lover AND a fighter,” his father and I say

As we watch him make his toys move and talk
There are worse ways to build your foundation, I guess
“Fight for what you love” is one bedrock

Our hands will mold his character

As his feet tread to higher ground
His lips will assemble the masses because
His pinky will be miles-deeply wound

I worry, of course, that he’ll become self-centered

If we give him as much as we want to
But I hope, even if we could give him the world
God's honor would come shining through

I fear that we’re not the right ones to do it

To teach him how to love and be kind
To make him a strong and resilient young man
Then I look at the partner I’m assigned

We all have our faults right along with our gains
Our lessons require repetition
But I can't look at his dad without knowing that Ollie
Is his life's highest and fullest mission

I've been told that I wear my heart on my sleeve
But as a mother, that's not where I put it
My heart goes walking out through the front door
And my lungs, trust, and faith follow with it

Thank you, Lord, for leasing us this boy of gold

He teaches us every day about You
Your grace, Your forgiveness, Your exquisite humor
They awaken us each day with the dew

Keep poking us, dear Lord, to focus our minds

Please keep us aware, awake, and alive
It’s hard to believe there are things we might miss
Especially now that he's FIVE!
- 2011 -

- 2012 -

- 2013 -

- 2014 -

- 2015 -

- 2016 -

Comments

Emily said…
This is so wonderful. We love you Ollie!! Happy 5!!

Popular Posts