Good things

1.  This and I finally got an egg to stand up on its own.


2  My little family joined a church on Sunday.  Yup!  After 13 years of church-shopping, we finally settled down.  Our new church is welcoming, loving, full of the Spirit and community activities and ready to take us on.  It's the most wonderful experience finally finding your spiritual home.  And they have cake.

3.  Ollie has started singing "Uptown Funk."  It was a little dicey there in the beginning, wondering if he was finally going to say the Queen Of All Curse Words, but he's stressing the "n," so we're pret-ty proud.  He also sings the high "hoos" when I point to him.  In tune.  Funkadellic.

4.  Ollie calls a remote control a "remote-ral."  He also tells us when he's "frusserated."  You just have to listen closely as to why he's frustrated before you sympathize because the other day he got frustrated for getting in trouble chasing a child with a baseball bat.

5.  The other day, we were laughing at something he said and he shouted, "That's not funny!  Knock it off, home skillets!"

6.  I walked past the open bathroom door the other day, and Ollie had fallen off the toilet onto his head because he was watching himself poop.

7.  Every day when we enter his daycare preschool room, he hops around screaming like a madman to make all the little girls laugh.  When he's done with that, all the little boys come rushing over to show him the toys they brought for the day and see what he brought.  It kind of fills my heart. 

8.  He has started telling us what to do, which is endearing or maddening depending upon the day, the attitude and the presence of magic words.  About a week ago while in the bathroom, he said to me: "Mama, you go into my play room.  Got it?" I didn't.  A few minutes later after flushing, I heard a warning: "I don't hear a voice in there!"

9.  We were driving to daycare and I called to Ollie in the back, "Ollie!  That car's license plate says it's from Tennessee!"  He calls back, "Tennessee?  Is that Spanish?"

10.  He looked this good when taking school pictures last week.

 
 
11.  A couple of weeks ago, I took Ollie to Wendy's for a dinner date.  Everyone wanted to talk to him: a kindergartener and his family who wanted to share toys and talk about their evening, an older couple, the worker and a man and his son.  It got kind of annoying.  We got out to the car and I said sarcastically, "Sheesh, Ollie, we made some friends at the Wendy's, didn't we?"  He looked up at me and said, "Well, a neighbor's someone you haven't met yet, Mama."

12.  Ollie's two best friends are rat puppets, Mousey and Bousey.  He plays show and tell with them and directs them on what to do next.  I'm just grateful he doesn't have an imaginary friend, because I'm convinced those are actually ghosts struggling with crossing over.

13.  Ollie's been helping his dad out with a couple of things.  He gets such a kick out of helping - when he wants to.


14.  Doug and I had a DREAM WEEKEND late February that consisted of The Guthrie's A Midsummer Night's Dream (I was Helena in Shakespeare's classic in college so I'm in love with it),  a fancy Bed & Breakfast and a drunk cave tour in Stillwater, Minnesota.

 
15.   My sister, Courtney, and her eldest, Mallory visited for a weekend at the end of February.  Pure magic, that was.  All three sisters got to go out for dinner without husbands or kids.  We looked up and 3 hours had gone by!  We may have also visited the Eden Prairie ice castles and met Princesses Anna and Elsa.  BIG DEAL YOU GUYS.





16.  However, this is my favorite picture of that weekend. 


17.  Last week, Ollie told me that some "owies" were brown and some were red.  I told him that he was pretty astute.  He laughed and shrieked, "Mama!  You just said tooooot!"

18.  After a busy day and dinner, Ollie and I cuddled up on the couch to watch something before bed one night.  Ollie goes, "What a niiiiice, cozy day for this."

19.  Ollie's been having a lot of trouble listening.  He told me that his teachers have been telling him that he has to listen to his friends' words.  Yesterday he came home and told me, "Miss Anika said we could get treats if we were good listeners and didn't push.  I didn't push!"

20.  The past two afternoons, I've walked in to pick up Ollie and he's playing Go Fish with his class and teacher.  It's pretty adorable seeing them all sitting around the table holding their cards.  It's like a 3 year olds' poker ring.  Daddy's gotten into it too.


21.  I found $80 round-trip tickets to Chicago over Easter weekend and decided to surprise my folks.  My Mom cried and my Dad said, "You're coming to Chicago?  WAIT - you're coming to OUR HOUSE?"  When we told Ollie, he decided he was going to show Papa Mickey all his library books.

22.  This week I got to read a book to Ollie's class.  Ollie picked "Cat in the Hat," and I got really into it: being expressive, using voices, you know, the gamut.  When I finished I looked at the kids on the rug and they all just...stared back at me.  (Crickets.)  I don't know if maybe I was expecting applause, but it was the most uncomfortable moment ever.  The teacher made the kids say, "Thank you, Oliver's Mom," and I thanked them, then got up, quietly and red-faced and went and got my coat.  It was unreal!  I got into the car and just burst out laughing.  I came to the conclusion that my star is just too bright for them.


23.  Ollie's teachers write a quote on the wall from one preschooler each day.  Friday was this winner:


If that's all he remembers about my child rearing process, I'll be fine with it.

What are your Good Things?

Comments

Popular Posts