Happy Birthday Doug!

On Facebook every November, people write one thing for which they are grateful every day.  It's to cement the idea that appreciation shouldn't be realized only on Thanksgiving.  One of my co-workers (Jenna, who's hilarious and smart and classy and stylish), turned me on to the idea of writing one way every day in November in which I am grateful for Doug.  Since his birthday is on the 26th of November (today, hooray hooray!), I thought it made the most sense to write the top 26 reasons I'm grateful for him this year.

Doug, this one's for you!

1.      You like to do yard work and I would rather do housework, but we worked together when things needed to get done: you have done a crapload of laundry this year, and I’ve done my share of rock digging.
 
So. Many. Rocks.
 
2.  You do what I don’t want to do – probably because you know I will procrastinate and complain until we’re both blue in the face.  But you push me to do things that you think will be good for me and/or I’ll enjoy.  Like the 5K that we ran this spring!  While I was really proud of myself, word to the wise: don’t ever push me to do a half marathon unless you want to come home to find all your sweaters unraveled.
 

3.     You know when I’ve had a hard day and because you know I don't have the strength to parent, talk, wrestle, think...you’ll take over giving O a bath and putting him to bed.

 
4.     You went out of your way – and out of my Mom’s way - to get me my favorite beer.
 
5.     You expand my horizons all the time – I would have never remodeled a garage without you.
 
 
6.     You are always willing to expand your mind, too – by learning new things, understanding current events, and hoping for everyone to have love and safety.
 
Gay Pride Parade
 
7.     You have pushed me to go out with my friends when I’ve needed a break.  Heyo, Emily!
 
8.     Even if you don’t like a dinner, you’ll eat it.  PS, I promise to never put frozen peas in the slow cooker again.  GAG.
 
9.     You make me want to be healthy, but I know that you’ll still love me even if I’ve fallen asleep in a pile of cookie crumbs.  Hashtag: HasHappened.
 
10.   You still think I’m sexy even after you watched me birth a child.  This just blows my mind.
 
(quickmemes.com)
 
11.   You show your love by shoveling the driveway and taking out the trash.  Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
 
12.   You make sure I have gas and windshield wiper fluid in my car.  I do it, of course, but sometimes you think of it faster and do it for me.
 
13.   You are smart so I don’t have to be, sometimes.  Uh?  Budget?  Wha?  Numbers?  Wake me up when we're rich.
 
14.   You have such a good sense of humor.  SUCH A GOOD ONE.
 
15.   You are patient with Oliver, but know your limits and let me tag in.  You remind me to do that too.
 
Me on one night that I was going to go insane if I heard another tantrum.
 
16.   You are doing well at making sure Ollie sees that you respect me, so that he’ll respect me.
 
17.   You push us to make our marriage number one priority.  Date night, baby!
 

 
18.   You have a kooky sense of humor and when you’re tired it really comes out.  I SO love it.
 
19.   You know my style and can pick out the perfect thank-you cards that I want.
 
 
21.   If something is THAT important to me, you will help me figure out how to pay for it.
 
22.   You let us go shopping every once in a while because you recognize the value in feeling like you look good.
 
23.   You encourage and support me and are always the first to agree when someone gives me a compliment.
 
24.   You are SO CREATIVE AND ENERGETIC with Ollie.  It takes all my energy to lay on the floor so he can imagine my calves are hills his cars have to drive over.
 
25.   When I’m in down the dumps or angry, you can get me to laugh.
 
26.   You’re you.  Thank the good Lord.  And you’re mine!  All mine!

Edited on Friday, December 5th to include the following reasons why I'm grateful for Doug.  I had written these out on a post-it and couldn't find them.  So now he's got 28 reasons.  Eh, It's my pinch to grow an inch.

27.  I'm grateful that you want to make our lawn look good so that family and friends can play on it. 

28.  You work so HARD for your career, your sense of self, our family and our future.  Thank you for working so hard, love.
 
Happy Birthday, baby.  I love you!  As our friend Kate would say: "5 short years 'til 40!"
  

Comments

Popular Posts