House Hunter

Yesterday morning, I woke up feeling very nostaligic and anxious.  I didn't remember any of my dreams but knew it had something to do with our recent home purchasing situation.

We've finally made it to the point when we can start really looking at houses.  We're preapproved and have done all our research.  We know what's available for our budget, the realistic locations and we feel very comfortable with our home purchasing team.  Now's the time not only to find a house, but to start thinking about building a home. 

I think that's what has me nostalgic.  Both Doug and I grew up in wonderful homes that our parents built for us.  We were comfortable, clean, fed, loved and happy.  Now it's our turn to build that for Oliver and for any other children that grace our path.

I'm anxious because it's a lot of pressure.  I'm scared that we'll pick the wrong house.  I don't want Ollie to grow up in a cheap house that's falling apart, has no play space or trees to climb, smells like a grandparent and is in a shoddy school district.  I'm also anxious that we'll pick a house that's too expensive and will have to live a meager life full of worry and little fun. 

Then again, I'm scared we'll get so fed up with the search that we'll just purchase the next house that's decent. 

IF someone accepts our offer.

Last night we saw a house that was perfect.  First day on the market and there were two other groups looking at it at the same time as us.  We asked our realtor to call when we left the house and he told us that they had multiple offers and already accepted one (pending inspection) by 7pm.  It's going to be tough out there.

People are telling me to enjoy this exciting time; that I'll always remember my first house, but it is impossible to not be nervous as all get-out.  It's a lot of money and a giant decision.  But I am lucky that I have a house to live in for now and no real set deadline.  I also have a wonderful husband who wants the best for our family so he's doing tons of research, recreating budgets and getting our finances in line.

Isn't it hard to focus on the easy things?  Why do we always have to focus on the difficult, trying things?  Doug and Oliver are enough.  We will find a house.  RELAX.

I wonder if my parents worried this much about building a home for us girls?  If they didn't, kudos, guys, you're better at looking at the forest through the trees than I.  If they did, I should thank them for creating a loving home which was such a force in my life that it has me waking up in a cold sweat of fond remembrance.

Argh!



Courtesy of www.pixabella.com

Comments

Mindy said…
Good luck to you. It's scary, but so fun owning your own home. Buy one by August, I'm really really hoping to come see you for a day or two. Or maybe a week, we can blow off Canada! (don't tell Ellen).

Popular Posts