Children: The Other White Meat

Last Monday night, Doug whispered to me that Ollie bit another kid.

Me: "Ollie, did you bite a friend today?"
Ollie: "No."
Me: "Oliver, did you bite someone today?"
Ollie: "No."
Me: "Ollie, are you telling a fib?"
Ollie: "Yeah."

Oh gosh.  Not only is he biting...

Wednesday night, Doug pulls in with Ollie and says, "Well, he had a big day today."  Me, immediately on guard, "What do you mean?  Did he bite someone again today?"  "Nope," Doug says.

He lifts up O's shirt to show three bites just like this: 



...and hands me three incident reports.  My mind was going nuts.


Overall, however, I was thinking, "WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THE TEACHERS?!?"  

I may or may not be able to recite Yo Gabba Gabba's "Don't Bite Your Friends!" song and Elizabeth Verdick's Teeth Are Not For Biting in my sleep.  Thursday and Friday were both bite-free as a result though.  A couple of nights ago I was pretty encouraged when I gave Oliver a new food and he looked up and asked, "Bite?"  (As in: can I bite this?).

That is until Oliver bit someone on the back so hard yesterday that he broke skin.

It now appears that Oliver isn't biting because he's provoked.  He bites because someone is there

Today, the Director spoke to me about the possibility of Oliver transitioning early into the Discovery Preschool class.  Moving him 2 months early not because he's so gifted, but because a new classroom with two teachers and slightly older children (my brain: who can yell or bite back) may discourage him to bite.  It makes sense, but Doug and I are pretty frustrated that our son may be moving up because he's kind of a danger to others.  Then again, maybe he's biting out of boredom and I should just look at it as this new classroom will challenge him so that he won't have the opportunity to seek oral enjoyment elsewhere.

Ugh.  Sometimes I hate being a parent.

Comments

Mindy said…
Move that kid up! He's clearly a genius and is so irritated with all those 1 year-olds that he can't stand it.
I just love him.

Popular Posts