Well Done, Lord

Dear Ollie,

This week the world said an all-too-early goodbye to a majestic woman.

Jackie and her husband, Biff went to school with Grandma and Grandpa and they remained best friends.  Whether Biff and Grandpa were playing football,  basketball or running track, Jackie was always there to cheer them on.  You see, she and Biff were high school sweethearts.  Well, if you want to get technical - childhood sweethearts.  When they met in the sandbox at 6 years old, Biff told his Mom that he wanted to marry Jackie.  So there you go.  The fairytale began early.

They had two perfect children: Megan and Meredith, who, in turn have given / are in the process of giving Biff and Jackie perfect grandchildren.  They moved down south to be near the grandchildren this fall.  Jackie passed away in March and while she had some time to appreciate them, it wasn't nearly as long as we all would have wished.  Her namesake will be born in May.  Perfect timing, which is typical of Jackie, for her to get up to Heaven, hug that baby silly and infuse her with some Jackie-isms before she descends.



Her visitations and funeral are likely to be the most populous that Allegan has ever seen because Jackie was such a sensational friend.  She made everyone feel special, loved, pretty and funny. She recognized everyone's importance and genuinely treated all with the same kindness.  I don't remember ever hearing her say anything negative about anyone, and she only made good-natured jokes at people's expense.  She had a fabulous sense of humor and was always quick to laugh.   Jackie had a terrific memory; she was the kind of person to remember everything about you and she had marvelous perception.  She would send me birthday cards in New York because she knew that birthdays made people feel a little lonely.  She couldn't have known it, but I would read those cards over and over again to feel a little closer to home.

Jackie was truly a spectacular cook.  Everything she touched was delicious, because I think she put a little extra dose of lard love in every bite.  She made the best peanut brittle, and my annual birthday dinner of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and blueberry muffins became my go-to because Jackie made it for me once.  I tend to think her summer recipes were her creme de la creme: her peach pie was famous and this salad blew my mind:


She got a huge kick out of watching us kids become mothers.  Ollie, she loved you so much.  Her thing was to give all the babies shoes for a first present, and she gave you about 6 pairs at your shower.  She sent cards to welcome you into the world and her mother's hand-stitched washcloths, which we will never use because they are just too special.   She commented on pictures about how big you were getting and told me how adorable you were.  You met her once, last summer.  

I'm sitting here listening to gospel music as I write this.  Jackie would raise her eyebrow and say, "Blaaaine."  (As in, oh, for crying out loud), but it helps me stay in the spirit.  One song in particular caught my attention.  It's one of my favorites and always makes my heart stop in my throat when we sing it in church.  It goes like this:

I, the Lord of sea and sky
I have heard my people cry
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save.

I who made the stars and night
I will make the darkness bright
Who will bear my light to them
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord
Is it I Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night
I will go Lord
If you lead me
I will hold your people in my heart.


You didn't know her, Ollie, but this was Jackie.  She was called to hold His people in her heart and she did just that: by creating a perfect union with her husband, raising two incredible women, and offering joy, encouragement and love to everyone she came across. 

You and I, along with your Dad, Aunts, Uncles and cousins, sent a beautiful orchid plant to her funeral this week. We hope that the card made it into Biff's, Megan's and Meredith's hands and that they can somehow grasp just how much our family loved her and how heartbroken we are not to be there with them.  


On Saturday, when Jackie left this world and entered God's, I like to think that He was there, waiting beyond the pearly gates, His arms outstretched, ready to say:

Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord. - Matthew 25:21

I like to think she ran blissfully into His arms and then threw Him aside as soon as she spied her Mom, Dad and beautiful sister, Liz.  Like they did for her, Jackie went on ahead of us so that we wouldn't be afraid when our time comes.  As she's done with plenty of new babies, she'll probably be the one to give us our first pair of heavenly slippers.

Well done, Lord.  You've given us a brilliant woman who has done just as you asked.

Well done, Jackson.  May you rest in a peace filled with heavenly love and light, free of the human body that turned against you.  We love you and will join the adoring masses in watching over your tremendous family.  We will always remember the lessons you have taught: love your family to the point of exhaustion, be a thoughtful and generous friend until your hands are empty, spread kindness to everyone you meet and make a pie like you goll-darn mean it.

Comments

Popular Posts