A Madison Vacation

Last weekend, my family all got together at the Holiday Inn West in Madison, Wisconsin.  As you know, my oldest sister and her family live close by and my parents live in Michigan.  Since my youngest sister and her children were going to be in Michigan for a couple of weeks, we all decided to meet halfway and celebrate with a short stay at a hotel and indoor waterpark.

It was very enjoyable.  Albeit too, too, too quick.

Why is it that the moment when you can enjoy your parents and siblings without falling into the usual family dynamic, children enter the equation and blow it all to smithereens?

I think I said 20 words to my youngest sister, the one whom I see maybe twice a year, all weekend.  And I think those words included, "I got a good shot of Mallory!" and "Feel free to tell Oliver to stop licking the pool."  I didn't get a single shot of myself with little Elliott, and most of the weekend was spent walking my rambuctious toddler around the hotel restaurant so he wouldn't haul off into ape-shit mode.

I don't mean to complain, because it was sensational to be able to meet and cuddle with Elliott, watch all the kids playing, hug my parents and sing with tiny Mallory.  It was soul-filling to watch Courtney and Jessica, such amazing Mamas, cater to their littles with love, support, generosity, kindness...and give them the iPads just like I do when it all gets to be too much.  And when Mallory started tearing up when Court told her that everyone would be leaving to go back home, oh gosh, squeeze all the blood out of my heart, why don't you.

There's nothing in the world like watching the cousins hug each other, smile at each other, and bask in each other's company.  Those babies are life-fulfilling, and they are why I truly believe in God, heaven, good works, love your fellow man, and all that.  But I can say that it would've been nice to have a conversation with my sisters without the kiddos around for just a moment.  

I think that's the bittersweetness of growing up.  Children are a joy and a blessing, but they do take your attention away from people, don't they?  It especially sucks when you don't realize what you've been missing (in this case, heart to hearts with your family) until it's gone. 

I know I can hold onto the thought that this isn't everlasting and will return again once the kids are grown a bit.  Just stinks a bit now.  I love and miss my family very much.

Here are my few favorites from the weekend.  I was given some rules on the photo sharing as it involved swimming, but I think I can get away with these!

Coloring while waiting for McDonalds


Running to hug Papa when he returned from unloading the car.  Priceless.

 
My little natural.
 
 
Amazing!
 

Precious.

 
Love you guys heaps.  Thank you for a great time!  Have a good night and safe travels home, Courtney et. al.! 

Comments

Popular Posts