Getting the Hang of This!

I've had one of those weeks when everything seems to go right.  And it's not just because we hired my President for another term, the MN marriage amendment was knocked down (Vote "Yes" if you believe marriage should be between a man and a woman, UGH), or Wisconsin voted in the first lesbian Senator.  That all is wonderful, but my last couple of days have been great because you, Oliver, have officially become a little boy and it's so much fun hanging out with you!
 
From the start of our new life, I was very worried about being a stay-at-home mom.  I was nervous I wouldn't know what to do with you, that I would miss having a out-of-the-house job, or that I'd end up impatient with you.  Huge, paralyzing fears. 

I have wondered what the heck to do with you.  I've also missed having a job.  Of course, I've gotten impatient, when I'm tired or hungry.  But you know what?  I'm starting to get the hang of this stay-at-home thing! 

Things I love about being a stay-at-home mom to you.  (Or SAHM, as I've seen it referred to online).

1.  I get to watch you learn things and know that I was involved.
2.  Because I'm with you all the time, I can guess what you are thinking or trying to say.
3.  I spend all my time with you, my son.
4.  I can take a nap with you if I want.  Or rather, near you, since we don't nap well together.
5.  I know exactly what you eat and when you eat it.
6.  I see how the other half of the world lives on M-F between 9am and 5pm.
8.  There's nothing as satisfying as a clean house, full tummies and time to just play.
9.  Daddy coming home is that much sweeter.


Here are things that we like to do:

Snuggle up and read.

 
Make streets and play with cars.

 
Play dress-up.


 
 
Watch Mo-Mo. 

 
Help Mama with chores.

 
Relax in small spaces.

 
Tunnel!


We also go to the park and sometimes meet up with friends.   Pretty full life you lead.  However, up until today we didn't do any art projects because a) I didn't have any supplies, b) I didn't have any ideas and c) you didn't seem to want anything to do with art. The last time you saw crayons, you ate them. Even though we fill our days and you don't watch a whole heap of TV, I definitely felt like this was a missing element in your day.

So I called your Aunt Courtney and she gave me some ideas. Today I made some homemade gluten-free play-doh and  I was so excited because it turned out just like the recipe said it would.   Announcing that it was art time, I put you in your highchair, spread out parchment paper and set down one of the balls in front of you. Grinning from ear to ear, I showed you how to stretch it, kneaded some into a ball and rolled some more into a snake. You pressed your finger to it and started crying.



A little deterred, I grabbed some construction paper that Grandma had brought from work, some stickers and your uneaten crayons. I'm proud to say that for the first time ever, you started coloring and sticking stickers to the paper!



You needed some company to complete your art.  You saw a monkey sticker, looked at me and said, "Bah?"  That's your name for your new lovey - it's your backpack/leash. Good thing for us that you like it so much, since we use it to impede your wayward travels.

 
You wear it around all day if you can.


Yesterday was such a great day, too; it was a day dreams are made of.  You and I went to the Willison Fitness Center.  Unfortunately, after prepping you for water, getting both our suits ready and stopping at Target to pick up swim diapers, we got there to find a posted sign saying that the Splash Pad was under maintenance.  Boo and hiss, but we pulled up our big kid pants and paid a little extra to play in the pool.  We got our suits on and went out to the pool and found lots of little ones awaiting a swim class.  The instructor let us audit the class, so we got a free swim class!  Go you!  And, funny enough, a lot of the things we did in the class were things Rebecca, John and Quinny had taught us in Chinatown.  You were a champ - screaming with glee, splashing, giggling, jumping around - you thrill in the water, love.  It's really fun to see.  Afterwards, we dried off quickly - it was freezing and you were so angry being cold and wet - and climbed around in the Treehouse for a bit.  We had a blast, and then you stuck your thumb in your mouth.  I asked if you wanted to leave and eat lunch, and you went straight down the slide and walked to the door.  (I love how we are starting to understand each other.)  After lunch, you had a super long nap and when you woke up, we ate a snack and went to vote.  You were so agitated that I think you really wanted to vote and make your voice heard in this historical election.  Later, I made spaghetti for the family (and blue jello for Grandma - get it?  Red, white and blue!), you turned orange and then had a bath.  I felt like it was one of those Norman Rockwell days - so patriotic, peaceful, productive and purposeful.

New things you are doing:

1.  I cleaned up Doug's and Heather's old toy kitchen for you last week.  You like to talk on the kitchen phone, "pour" water for everyone, and "drink" from bowls and cups.

2.  When we have dance parties in the afternoon, you usually bounce and twirl.  This afternoon, you showed me your new dance move that I can only guess you got from the library storytime exercise song that we've sung approximately 4 times.  You stand up and put your hands above your head and then bend down to touch your toes.  The first couple of time you did it, I didn't understand what you were doing! 

3.  In a recent conversation with Emily, we were talking about how adorable it's going to be when you and Gus start bringing toys to bed.  Today for nap, you made me bring up your Elmo hat and silky cape.  It must have worked because you slept for 3.25 hours.

4.  Your newest game is to "put on" your jacket, wave bye-bye and stand there until I follow you.  Today I just didn't have the energy, so I gave you your monkey leash and said, "See you later!"  You came back and sat in my lap.  We read a book instead of your intended trip.

5.  You are now a frowner.  I was too.  Fortunately, you still don't know the word, "no."  I think it's only a matter of time, since you recently started shaking your head whenever anyone asks you a question.


6.  If you like the food I give you, you say "mmm."  I don't think either your dad or I say "mmm," so I have no idea where you picked that up!  But it's nice to know you like the food I make you, especially because I often need validation.

You are such a little love.  I think you're kind of the coolest.  Have a good night!

Comments

Mindy said…
He is the coolest. And so are you.

Popular Posts