Family Fun Day!

A cup of tea, some leftover cinnabon coldstone ice cream, a sleeping babe and a few episodes of "An Idiot Abroad: Bucket List" and that finishes off a pretty fabulous family fun day.  Lemme tell you about our Saturday.

A coupla friends of ours in Bay Ridge attend classes at Music Together, a children's music school a few blocks from us.  The owner suggested that we take a trial class to see if we wanted to start up for Spring semester, which starts in mid-April and is 10 weeks of 45 minute classes.  The class started at 11:30 and after waking up with Oliver at 6:30, washing up, eating breakfast, playing on the mat, opening and closing the TV stand door a few hundred times (O's really into hinges right now) and taking an hour-long nap, we set off. 

Right away, we screwed up; we brought the stroller inside when the previous class was just letting out.  Next time we'll remember to wait with the other families outside.  The instructor, Singhi (appropriately named), introduced herself to us, as did a mom whose child, Jake, was tearing around the place.  Oliver crawled over to him while we were waiting for the class to begin and Jake promptly shoved him in the chest.  His mom slapped him and screamed "No!"  On one hand I was glad that she stopped Jake, but on the other...uh, did we just walk into a dangerous situation?  She explained that the child had bruises all over his face because he fell down the stairs.  I'm not judging...I just know that in after-school specials that's what parents tell their children to say.  Please tell me Bay Ridge moms aren't any different from other moms that I know.  I hesitantly looked at Doug and through one of our silent brain-to-brain discussions, we decided to stay but sit on our own until we got a lay of the land.  Jiminy Crickets.  Welcome to Music Together, Oliver.  Sharpen your elbows.

About 10 other families joined us and we all took off our shoes and sat in a circle.  The class ranges in age from 0 to 5 years and Oliver was the youngest on this day.  The class started with a song that got us clapping and stomping.  Oliver crawled over to Doug then over to me, watching the other kids and then ended up in Doug's lap.  The parents are encouraged to sing and move along with the kids, as it helps lowers the kids inhibitions and gets them involved.  I don't know if swinging around like a monkey on a tree would really foster Oliver's participation, but I was game to try it.  Doug definitely felt uncomfortable and we giggled a little, but he was a trooper.  As it happens, Oliver just pretty much stared the whole class.  I guess that's what 9.5 months on earth will get you.  We did a lot - clapping, stomping, singing, playing with instruments, dancing...there was even a part where we played with scarves and another where we danced to a Jewish jig.  Very worldly, this Brooklyn class.

With the exception of Bruiser and his Mom , I would say that everyone was lovely and we'd be fools not to return.  Oliver seemed to like the new experience and it kept his interest throughout.  Singhi was a saint - very professional and loving to both the kids and the adults.  The only bad part occurred when all the kids got ahold of the loudest instruments.  A kid apparently had knocked O in the face with the clicky frog and the cacophony was so mind-numbing that the only way we knew he was hurt was that his little red face contorted into a silent scream.  Poor brother. 

We loved it.  As soon as our order of baby brass knuckles from Amazon comes in, we'll be sure to sign up for Spring semester.

We went home and Oliver took a nap.  Then we got ready for our trip into the city to take Oliver swimming! 

My coworker, Rebecca (I've told you about her - she has Quinn at Tutor Time...you remember), had told me about a family swim program at the Chinatown YMCA.  It's called "University Settlement" and you can swim for an hour for under $10.  It's not a class but if we go with Rebecca, John and Quinn and jumpstart their memories, they can give us a few tips about teaching an infant not to fear water.  Because both Doug and I grew up with lakes, we want to make sure Oliver feels very comfortable around water.  We decided that the University Settlement was a chance we couldn't pass up.  Besides, have you seen what they want for infant swim classes nowadays?  No thank you!

On this day, our first time, Doug decided not to swim as he didn't want to be too tuckered out for his big run the next day.  He did help us in the family locker room, though.  I had bought Oliver an all body swimsuit and swim diaper as well as the whole family some swim caps.  Doug worked on Oliver (who didn't have a clue what was going on), while I wrestled my body into my pre-pregnancy swimsuit and a swimcap.  Nothing boosts your self-esteem like seeing what you look like in that get-up.  I don't know WHERE my butt went, but it's not anywhere on my body.  Maybe I left it in Delivery.  Doug had to work the latex hat condom over my head since I'd never worn one before.  Oliver didn't seem to mind the head squeezing swim cap.  He liked the smooth sensation and even smiled when he saw me in mine.  Doug took a picture of us in our gear but told me he'd show it to me afterwards.  Maybe he thought I'd see myself and immediately give up. 


Doug took all our crap out into the pool viewing room and Ollie and I headed to the showers.  I didn't realize how giant the window was to the pool until dripping O and I walked the length of it to get to our side of the pool.  And, of course, who doesn't want to see a 9 month old in a swim cap sucking his thumb, so it was a little pandemonium on the other side of the window.  I felt like I was back in 7th grade gym with everyone pointing at my giant feet, close-cropped perm and glasses the size of Utah.  To my credit, however, I mastered my nerves and waved at everyone before dropping off our towel and my giant pumas (some things never change) and making my way into the pool without dropping my son.  PS, I had quite a few OMG moments whilst slipping and sliding down the pool ladder.  Whatever happened to steps?

Well, I can tell you the pool was cold.  And OLIVER HATED IT.  For about 15 minutes while we waited in the pool for Rebecca, Quinn and John, I was contemplating throwing in the towel.  He was shaking, crying and frantically sucking his thumb.  I knew he just had to get used to it, so we moved around a bit and I pried him off my neck, but truthfully, I didn't know what to do. He loves splashing in the bath but I knew not to engage that activity - trauma city.  I wasn't sure how to put him under water, so I didn't try that.  We just moved around and I sang some songs.  By the time Rebecca and her brood arrived he seemed to have calmed down a bit.  And Quinny was a lifesaver - he really enjoyed having another kid in the water.  He sang his alphabet, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and we played the Hokey-Pokey and turned ourselves around because that's what it's all about.  We bounced Oliver off the wall into the water, he and I went under 3 times and Rebecca showed me how to lay his head on my shoulder and kick his feet.  In no time at all, Oliver was giggling and the time was over!

Doug took some illegal pictures before someone told him to cut it out.  Hopefully next time there will be pictures of the two of us with him!


This family fun day comes on the heels of a pretty sick winter.  We all had stomach viruses multiple times, crazy colds and congestion that all seemed to fall on Fridays when we were gearing up for exciting weekend activities.  We stayed inside a lot.  So it makes this day even more important to chronicle!

Here's hoping this blog post finds all of you healthy and happy.  We love you! 

Now go do something.  Take a walk, ride on some swings, stop and smell the crocuses and daffodils because this early spring weather is just too spectacular!



Comments

Popular Posts