To Ollie (1 of many)

Hiya buddy!

I realized today that I haven't written in your baby book in a while. When you were first born, I took that baby book everywhere with me so that I could record every little thing and not forget. (Everywhere meant living room to bathroom to bedroom to kitchen to nursery...we didn't leave the house much). I haven't picked it up lately and there are already fields in the book that I've missed. Bad Mama. I've decided to record some of those things here so that I do it as I'm thinking of it and don't have to search out the book. So let's see...You have caught some bug that we just can't shake. I hope you feel better soon because this croup turned cold is really throwing you for a loop! It's a croup loop!


Your croup loop makes you a tad crabby.  But you're so darn cute.


 And guess what? You have TWO TEETH popping through. You were a bear last Tuesday and then Wednesday morning I stuck my finger in your mouth because there wasn't a teether nearby and felt a little sharpness sticking out from your lower gum! Most kids don't start cutting teeth until 6-10 months so you're pretty advanced.   And gosh, one tooth isn't enough for you, Big Shot.  Miss Annie, one of your teachers, abides religiously by the tradition that the first person to notice a baby's first tooth has to buy the baby a new pair of shoes.  You don't really wear shoes, so she's buying you socks.  Act surprised.

As if you weren't already chewing on everything...


So your teeth + cold + super hasn't turned on the heat yet + sleep association with breastfeeding = pretty lousy sleeping lately. You wake up 5-6 times a night and it's all I can do to boob you until you fall asleep again.  I don't know how you come home from daycare with your little report cards showing that you've napped 2-3 hours. If they aren't lying, then they're totally ignoring you when you wake up. Your daddy and I are not at the point yet that we can do that, but I think we may get to that point soon. No offense, dude, but this will be good for all of us.

This is a conversation we had about the importance of sleep.

When you were born, the following things cost this much...

A half gallon of milk............$2.50
A loaf of bread.....................$3
A box of diapers..................$46 (for a big ole' carton)
Movie tickets.......................$11/each
Postage stamp (what is that, you ask?)...$0.44
A gallon of gas.....................$3.87
A cab ride from home to Park Slope.........$20 with tip
Doctor's visit.......................$25

Two of my favorite things right now: 
  1. Picking you up from daycare. Seriously. When Miss Cherie or Miss Annie hand you over through the open door, my body reaches for you like a starving man reaches for bread. When you're not in my arms, I miss a piece of my body, like an amputee misses an arm. It's weird, but I know you'll come to understand if you end up having children. I just can't get enough of holding your little self close!
  2. Giving a commentary on what you might be thinking as I watch you. You think of the most hilarious things. Your daddy thinks you're pretty funny.
Four of your favorite things right now:
  1. The Exer-Saucer. HOLY SMOKES. As soon as you are set down in it, you think it's just about the most exciting thing ever. You can't wait to push all the buttons and gnaw on all the plastic parts. We have to watch you carefully, though, because you tend to lose your balance and I'm pretty sure you're going to fall over at any given moment.  Those things aren't Oliver-proof.
  2. Any repetitive noise. I found that when I take a sharp intake of breath like I'm scared, I get a giggle. Your daddy found that if he makes a pukey sound, he gets one!
Daddy getting some giggles from you.

  1. Holding you up in the air. You could be screaming bloody murder, but if we push you up into the air for a brief glorious moment you give us a respite from your healthy lungs and smile. Of course, then you come back down and resume your complaint.
  2. Your voice.  This is your newest thing!  Where did this come from?  You love to have the talking stick.  Your daddy and I especially love it when we wake up to hear you jabbering in your crib.  We just sit and watch the video monitor, giggling at your little voice. You have a lot of things to say, buddy.
Daddy found you this way one afternoon when you should've been taking a nap.
Stinker!


Two of your least favorite things right now:
  1. Tummy Time.  Who needs it?
  2. The Mama Roo.  I will forever be apologizing that we picked that out for you instead of the swing that everyone has. It was the neatest thing we had ever seen, both your father and I wanted one for our very own. With its 12 movement settings, iPod plug in, womb sounds and zippered in seat (so it could be washed easily), NEATO. AND our dearest friends put their money together to buy it for you. It was the hit of your New York shower. But you hate it with a mild passion. We stick you in it and you're good for 2 minutes before you start fighting. I'm so sorry, especially when we pick you up at daycare and your teacher announces that the swing is one of your favorite items in the class. We hang our heads in shame, my dear. In shame.
We love you soooooo much, O.  Hope you're having a good day with Tutor Time!

Comments

Popular Posts