Aftermath...

Well, the milk for my cereal this morning was in frozen shards and we have more processed junk food than either Doug or I know what to do with, but we made it through Hurricane-turned-Tropical Storm Irene with flying colors!

As you know, we did some major moving around to get ready.  We had our go bags, we'd moved furniture and charged every electrical item.  We prayed some major prayers that involved me getting teary and went to bed around 11pm.  Each time Oliver woke up (every hour and a half), Doug and I checked the news and our windows and every other time I sent a text to our families.  The hurricane was set to hit around high tide - 8am.

This was going to be the storm to end all storms and we were frigging ready.

And guess what happened?  Nothing.  Some wind and rain.  Nothing this Midwesterner hadn't seen before.  Snoozefest.  I can't say we weren't slightly disappointed.  D and I moaned a little and started cleaning up and then I remembered the prayers we had said and the many people praying for us.  Shame on us.  How fortunate we were!  God had answered our prayers!  We were safe, had power and didn't have any holes in our windows!  So Doug and I said a prayer of thanksgiving, hugged Ollie bigtime and finished cleaning up with grateful smiles.

Last night's pictures were bogus.  Here are better prep pics and some aftermath shots.  We love you.  Thank you for your prayers and please send some up for those still without power or a dry home or grieving for a loved one.

Doug calming Oliver.


Our sleeping arrangements.



The leaves outside.  Seriously.  All there was.




The street sign!


The rain coming in our window.  It wouldn't be a Brooklyn apartment if...



Oliver looooved hunkering down.


All the stuff that I stuffed into bags in the preceding days.

Comments

Popular Posts