I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

I am going to take a quick stab at this blog thing. While it may not be the high octane hilarity that my wife offers on a regular basis I feel I gotta throw in my two cents since we started this little family story.

I am not saying that my wife has become a superhero overnight but I am saying that this motherhood thing suits her and after seeing her deliver our adorable little Oliver Maxwell, I am certain there is more moxy and grit in this woman than I could have imagined.  During the whole 9 months of planning, nesting, stocking up we had a plan and often would say, “we know it’s not up to us but let's try to control this piece…”.  When we got to the hospital and the epidural was off the table she went with the flow and knew she was more or less on her own to get this kid moving.  (We took a few classes about infant CPR and labor 101, all stories, readings and tips went out the window when her water broke without a real contraction.) She showed so much strength, power and, dare I say, grace that I was and am in awe.


I will say, after having gone through the birth of our son and the rollercoaster that has become our parenting life, my wife was born to be a mother.  She has doubts, like every mother, but with every doubt or rough day, one glance at this kid’s face, whether in a silly side smile, a wink, or even “poop face”, she falls in love with him all over again and again musters up that energy to see him be safe, healthy and loved.  

And just for the record, I understand that an epidural can ease the process but it is not cheating.  She still has to push a human baby out of something that isn't always that size.


I have found that there is little I can do to take away the doubts she has.  Everyone has their two cents, their tricks and advice they want to give and she welcomes it with open arms.  But when it doesn’t work, I know I have to be there to remind her that Oliver isn’t that kid or this kid but our kid.  He is learning as much about us as we are him and as long as he has her and us, he will be loved.

Top Five of Oliver’s Life Thus Far
1.       Regardless of how tedious he can make a task, ie pooping in a new outfit, he melts ya with an involuntary smile.
2.       Pee, poop and spit up will become part of our skin care regimen
3.       He is very strong and kind of hurts when he decides he needs to hold onto you. (yes, I am a bit of  a wuss)
4.       Oliver Maxwell suits this kid because I forsee him being a kind hearted little cuss but with that little alter ego that will be a mischief maker.
5.       I know all parents say this, but seriously, this kid gets cuter by the minute. Seriously.

Comments

Alicia said…
Doug, that is a beautiful tribute to Blaine and your new family. I am so happy for all three of you! Oliver is a pretty lucky little guy to have both of you as parents. Much love from western, NY :)

Popular Posts