The Incredible Husband

Last month, Doug brought home a "push present" for me.  I hadn't heard of this before our friends, the Shand-Lubbers, introduced it to me.  It's a present for the Mama-To-Be for pushing out the baby.  I guess the Papa-To-Be's present is the child!

Doug had been hinting at a present for a while, but I wasn't really paying attention.  One day I came home and Doug led me into the living room.  He asked me to close my eyes and then brought in the most beautiful painting I had ever seen.  He said, "With all that you've been through with this pregnancy, I wanted to show you how much I appreciate it and how much I love you."



The story of this painting: Doug and I used to frequent a bar in Hell's Kitchen called Varjak.  They had tons of this artist's work (Jonathan Fritz) on the walls and we would sit and look at the paintings, discovering new things in each painting.  We told each other that one day we would own one of the paintings.  Varjak closed and we kind of forgot about them.  Well, I did, until I ran into them again at Sheep's Station in Brooklyn 2 1/2 years ago.  I mentioned it to Doug, who tucked away the information.  In March, Doug tracked down Jonathan and met with him, commissioning a painting much like one we used to love for me and Pip.  Jonathan was all about it, even told Doug that this painting reinvigorated his work with this particular theme - nursery rhymes. 

Look back at the painting - you'll find tidbits from the following nursery rhymes:
  • Hey Diddle Diddle
  • Humpty Dumpty
  • Jack and the Beanstalk
  • Jack Jumped Over the Candlestick
  • Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • Three Blind Mice
You'll also see the following (and this is what it all means!)
  • Blue and Green globe: Jonathan has 1 blue eye and 1 green eye and he always puts these colors in his work
  • 3 stars: Red star is Doug, Green star is me and the blue star is Pip
  • Hearts: Another meaning of the candlestick is our love burning eternal (eternal flame), and you'll find hearts coming out of the candlestick, swirling around the painting and surrounding the 3 stars
When he gave this painting to me, I immediately recognized the artwork and the work Doug must've done to get it.  I sat for about 10 minutes in complete and silent shock and awe.  Then I cried.  Can you even believe how incredible my husband is? 

You can find Jonathan Fritz's information here: http://www.jonathanfritzart.com/, http://www.indiescenetv.com/ and http://www.indieshop.com/.

You also will start seeing his artwork everywhere as he has just signed a deal to screen his artwork onto children's clothing, stationery and greeting cards and June 1st a documentary based on his work will be aired.  I'm not sure where, but he told us CNBC, CNN and a few others.  Check your local listings!

Also, Jonathan's birthday is May 27th and he's really hoping Pip arrives then.  He's been telling all his friends about our story and he is very proud of the painting.  So are we!

Comments

Jeff S-L said…
I'm glad I was able to introduce the idea to you and I'm not surprised to see Doug taking it to a whole new level. I somewhat self-servingly bought U2 tickets as "Renee's" push present and consequently they needed to be refunded when the show was postponed after Bono threw out his back.

Well done, Doug. Well done.
Jeff S-L said…
Also, I just caught the sub-title of your blog. Way to keep this inclusive for additional future family members.
Alicia Reinhardt said…
My bet for May 27th is being seconded by your artist! Hip Hip Hooray!
I love the painting, it is so much fun to just stare at. Way to go!!

Popular Posts