February Updates...

Friends!  We have been MIA and I'm just as sick of apologizing for it as you are of hearing it.  Don't let me get away with this self-righteous act of claiming pregnancy in order to slack on the more important duties...like informing loved ones of our progress!

Here's what we've been up to:

1. Pip is moving so crazily now that we can actually SEE his kicks and punches.  My distended stomach ripples with his movements.  He rolled over the other day and Doug just about wet himself.  One of my co-workers without children saw this, proclaimed Pip part alien, and then, after further contemplation, came in the next day to discuss how my internal organs weren't seriously affected.

2.  Pip's favorite spot to sit and observe is directly upon my bladder. 

3.  It's amazing to read about all these pregnancy cliches and then watch them as they occur.  Honestly, every single thing that happens, I either think - "yup, that's already started," or if it hasn't, "aw sheesh, that won't happen to me."  And then guess what.  It does.  Case in point: I always secretly harbored fantasies (or rather, if we're being honest, confidence) that I would be one of those stick-thin preggos with a basketball under her shirt, the only telling sign of the coming child.  You know, the kind of expectant mother at whom everyone rolls their eyes (or gives the complimentary bird).  And then I watched as the scale declared a 20 pound surplus in 2 months and my swollen ankles refused to submit to the zipping up of one of my favorite pairs of boots.  I really thought I'd gotten away with murder having dieted on donuts, McDonalds, Starbucks and the occassional pack of graham crackers in 7 months but the scale knew all.  The scale for which, it must be said, I have gained a somewhat wary respect.  I really ought to learn my lesson - yes, I'll gain a lot of weight.  Yes, I'll have to pee a lot more in the last trimester.  Yes, I'll have mood swings (this one wasn't too hard for either my husband or I to imagine).  Yes, my baby will likely be super-fussy and have to sleep on my chest for the first 3 weeks.  And yes, I won't be Super-Mom and be able to keep the house clean, laundry basket empty, hair washed, baby silent and husband happy without having to count to ten while methodically pulling out my eyebrow hairs in the corner.  But seriously, aren't false hopes what make this world go 'round?

4.  I had my first shower!  My sisters threw me a party in Michigan!  And aside from some awkward moments (Did I just say "knocked up" in front of my 6 year old cousin?), it was such a lovely day!  My aunt and cousins decorated, my Mom made food, and some of my best friends came from far away (Michelle came from Louisville!).  The "It's a Boy!" balloons threw me over the edge - just so thoughtful!  All the gifts were...gosh, I just felt so incredibly blessed and loved.   Thank you family and friends!  Thank you, Jess, Court and Mama!  Thank you, Grandma, for lending us your condo even when you were in a different state!  We missed you!

Don't worry, Mom, thank-you cards are being written this week.

5.  I got to hang out with my nieces last weekend too!  Kenzie had a bit of a fever and cold, so nuts to that.  But, hoowa - despite feeling like roadkill, she was smiling and cooing and gurgling and singing and just having a grand old time.  And Mallory - oh gosh, she's going to be the comedian in the family and she doesn't even know it yet.  If she were anyone else, I'd feel a bit rocked being thrown off my middle-child-attention-seeking throne that I occupy in the family, but she's just so gosh-dang cute and snuggly and warm and Santa-cheeked that I just can't throw my usual tantrum.  So I won't try to check myself before cozying up and chewing on her rosy, giggly face that makes me laugh every time.

6.  We threw our third annual Oscar watching party at our new apartment.  It was a great opportunity for us to stop whining and actually clean, organize and decorate our apartment.  Good group of attendees, good food (including Adios Nachos for True Grit, Black Swan Truffles and The Fighter's Cracked Ribs) and Colin Firth won!  Such fun!  Congratulations to Sam for winning the Oscar ballot, Jenn to winning the Celebrity Death quiz and Ariana for winning Bingo!  And thank you to all for not judging me (or at least judging me silently) when I sprawled out on the couch in my pajamas around 10:30pm.  Oh friends, God bless ya'.

7.  Despite all the gifts we've been receiving, we are still feeling a little ill-prepared as we glance at our plain nursery.  Add other to-dos that we want to get to-done before the 'squeak arrives, such as purchasing a new camera, finishing taxes, washing the futon cover, etc., and we're plain manic.  So me being my ESFJ self created a Project Management timeline in order to get everything done by the 37th week.  Last week we accomplished our list and this week we have to purchase a wedding present, look further into daycare, write a blog (check!), write and mail thank-you notes and finish registering.  I think we can do it.  Say a little prayer, would'ja?

I just realized I forgot to put 2 important items on the Project Management Timeline: Figure out Pip's name and Decide on a nursery theme.  REVISE!

8.  Tonight we have our 7 month appointment, so I'll let you know!

What, you wanna see pictures now?  Tee hee! 

26 weeks...


In Michigan with Mallory and Kenzie, 27 weeks!


29 weeks...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Where did you get the cute red top you are wearing at the Oscar party?
--Rebecca McConnell

Popular Posts