It's a BOY!

It's official!  We're having a little boy! 

We had our regular appointment on January 4th but because our doctor's machines aren't the greatest, we also had the anatomy screening ultrasound scheduled for the 14th.  The latter is the appointment where we'd find out the gender and take some measurements.  On the 4th, we asked if we could possibly find out a tad earlier.  Elizabeth, our midwife, tried the sonogram machine but with little luck - people had been fiddling around with it and the images were very grainy.  Then our doctor, Dr. Swenson, came in and voila - the machine came roaring back to life.  Good to know your doctor has magic hands, eh?

Doug turned on the Flip and was able to capture the moment without feeling like an outside participant.  Of course, neither of us can describe the surprise and gratitude we felt when we found out.  My gosh.  While we had tried very hard to be completely neutral on anticipating the gender, we both (just a little bit) wanted a boy.  I've always seen myself surrounded by boys and we wanted to be able to give the family that other perspective as both my sisters have glorious, beautiful daughters.  Before we left, I hugged every single member of the staff, proudly exclaiming that we were having a son.  I'm very cool, calm and collected like that.  We walked home grinning from ear to ear, giggling intermittedly and saying "wow" over and over again. 

We sent the Flip video to our families and I think the best reaction was my dad, who, after telling him that he was going to have a grandson, took a breath and then quietly said, "A grandson.  I'm having a grandson."  Enough to make your heart stop dead in its melted tracks right then and there!

Friday night we received confirmation and along with the whole penis thing, I can also proudly tell you that our son does not have cleft, weighs 14 ounces (right on schedule - a papaya), seems a stubborn little mule because he doesn't turn when you want him to, and looks (if appearances can be trusted) like he's going to be a fabulous goalie.  Or a famous pianist if he sticks with his lessons and doesn't mouth off to his instructor like his mother did.  Or a basketball player (please, sweet Lord, remember how much I abhor basketball and be gentle).  Either way, he's going to be amazing.  Not to put too much pressure on the pony-baby just yet. 


And here's what I look like at 21 weeks as the little Papaya smuggler! (I'm now at 22 weeks, but don't have the most recent picture)...

 

Maybe, just maybe, one of these days, I'll actually take a belly picture wearing makeup and real non-pajamas.  Don't get your hopes up!

Comments

Unknown said…
It looks like you are carrying low like some wives tales say!

Popular Posts